Title Tags - A Search Engine Optimization Cornerstone
There is a great article on title tags for your website over at Search-This. It is amazing how often title tags are ignored, even by the big web development companies. This is such a simple and easy thing to do.
The post has six main points about what the title tag should or should not contain:
- should contain the keywords for that particular page
- should not include your blog or company name
- should be short and concise
- should have the most important keywords first
- should not include words like “the”, “by”, “that”
- should be unique for every page
Read the whole article Title Tags - A Search Engine Optimization Cornerstone at Search-This.
This is a great list, but I slightly disagree with having the blog or company name in the title. If your blog or company name has the keywords that you want to optimize for, it actually makes sense to have the blog or company name in the title tag. A quick example is this blog. The title is LGR Webmaster Blog, a quick search on Google places me on page two of the search engine results for webmaster blog (today anyways).
Of course if your company or blog name has nothing to do with the keywords you are trying to optimize for leave it out of your title.